Indiana Republican Congressman Dan Burton on Cap and Trade Tax, Obamacare and those Town hall meetings:
Cap and Trade Tax
- Spain has tried this already. And for every job, a new job created that would help the environment they lost two and a half jobs.
- Because of the new programs its gonna cost American jobs, American people jobs. It's gonna drive jobs overseas.
- Its gonna cost the American consumer about $3000 a year in additional expenses because when they turn on their lights it'll cost more because the producer of the electricity is gonna have to pay more taxes. Its gonna cost more for gasoline and anything that's an energy source that pollutes in any possible way.
- I don't think the Senate ultimately will pass it because constituents across the country are becoming very interested in this and the health care issue.
- We don't need more taxes. We don't need more spending. We don't need to have jobs driven overseas when we need to create more jobs here at home.
- Its gonna take money, billions of dollars, out of Medicare.
- Its gonna do away with Medicare Advantage.
- Its gonna cause the rationing of health care.
- This is a bad, bad bill and its socialistic.
- We need to make some improvements in health care, but this ain't the way.
- The Democrats are starting to feel what the American people want them to feel -- real disgust about this bill [Obamacare].
Town Hall Meetings
- I've had town meetings now for a long, long time. And I can tell when there's a put up job and when there's real concern among constituents. These people are angry. They're not being sent there by anybody.
Watch the following video of Congressman Burton's interview with Jamie Colby.